Thursday, July 24, 2014

How can I keep up my business with my special needs child?


This is a question that I can relate to with all my heart. One of the things that I am fortunate enough to have is friends who have small businesses and special needs children. I myself have a child with autism and they have such strange habits, like not sleeping at night.

I've gone far past the times when I can work when she can sleep. My child has never slept and for me not much work was getting done. And with summer being in full bloom and school being out for a few months how much work can I get done. A lot more now then when she was diagnosed and I was still trying to figure out having a business and the business of therapy and doctor's appointments for me child. Having a regular job where I punch a clock with someone else isn't an option for me. My child has missed so many days due to bad illnesses that it's not funny at all. But here's some of my tips and tricks that I use to get all the work done without having a nanny or babysitter and it's you caring for your child and your business begging for your attention as well.

Day or night there are plenty of times for me to work. My child enjoys stemming and that soothes her, doesn't calm her down to sleep but it does help her function in her chaotic world. My business deals with being solely online. So the computer is my work station and the laptop goes everywhere that I go just about. But for others who create things that they sell that can be a bit of a challenge. A structured schedule can help for not only your special needs child but for other children that you have as well.

Picture schedules are great for keeping children on schedule and yourself as well. Playtime outside if the weather permits is a great break for not only your child but for yourself. Sometimes depending what type of business that you have your child can do work sheets for learning while they sit right beside you and you can help guide them with their education. Some of the things that helps with my child and her autism is the ipad, an exercise ball for stemming, a trampoline and the all important swing. We also do a lot of crafts together where she ends up with something that she can play with. Playdoughs are her favorite and clay is easy and simple to use for her as art is her talent. When it comes to my child I have to make sure that she is always in my eye sight including when we ride bikes together. Call me a helicopter mom if you want but you have to remember that children with special needs are different. They require just as much attention as your business.
Time together with your child is time you will never get back if you don't put forth time and attention for both your business, child and your sanity. Enjoy the break times outside, your child(ren) are only young once.

No comments:

Post a Comment